Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Father's Day...

Every year as this day approaches I am overcome with emotions. Every year I am flooded with memories. Memories of my father. I think back now and just smile. Smile as I remember things like Mr. Butthead -A Halloween mask that was literally the shape of a butt that my dad would put on randomly to make us all laugh. Trips to the mall where he would let us pick out anything we wanted from the Disney Store. The father daughter dances. His cowboy boots. When he braved the screaming mobs of tween girls to take me to see Hanson and NSYNC. The way I would get embarrassed at church when he would sing way too loud or whistle and yell "amen brother" at pastor Johnny during service. The stories he used to tell me about growing up in Brooklyn, going to catholic school, and working with the mafia... (Can't wait to find out if that was true!) The way I would get embarrassed in the car when he would blast the music and play the air guitar, air piano, and air drums. Yes he played all three... in the car while he was driving. The way he would have the AC blasting in the middle of winter because he sweated so much. - we had to wear like 3 layers of clothing to stay warm!! The way he would stir my ice cream up really really fast and make the spoon stand up. The way he made sure we always had fun everywhere we went! All the fairs, festivals, firework shows, Braves games, Hawks games, fun family vacations, and trips to the zoo. I remember them all.

There is one story I love that he used to tell about a three year old little girl who sat on his lap and asked him if he was going to be her daddy. That story is special to me because that girl was me. I'm so thankful that he married my mom and raised me as his own. Thankful that I have a childhood filled with good memories of my father. Yes there were hard times as well. Specifically during and after my parents divorce that things got tough for everyone, but I choose to remember the good times. The happy times. The bear hugging, piggy-back riding, crazy driving, AC freezing times!

I was 19 when he passed away and not a day goes by that I don't think about him. I am so thankful for the memories he gave us. The memories he gave my whole family. Now that I am getting older and have children of my own I appreciate him even more. I can now look back at the tough times and realize he always wanted what was best for me. He is in a better place now and I know I will see him again one day. But in the mean time I will keep remembering the good times! Happy Father's Day Dad! I love you!




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Designs by Linds © 2012